Maro Itoje: England head coach Steve Borthwick says captain may need to miss inaugural Nations Championship and clash vs Springboks to rest | Rugby Union News


England captain Maro Itoje may need to miss the summer’s inaugural Nations Championship Tests against South Africa, Fiji and Argentina, head coach Steve Borthwick has told Sky Sports. 

Itoje captained the British and Irish Lions in their 2-1 series victory over Australia last summer, ultimately finishing his 2024/25 season in August.

The 31-year-old has also exceeded the RFU’s own player welfare guidelines in terms of match minutes for the last two seasons, playing in more than 30 matches each campaign.

He began this season with lingering concussion symptoms following the conclusion of the Lions tour, and has been managing a knee injury too.

England face South Africa in Johannesburg, Fiji at home in Everton Football Club’s new stadium and then Argentina in Santiago del Estero this July, involving over 25,000 miles of travel.

Maro Itoje
Image:
Itoje has exceeded the RFU’s own player welfare guidelines in terms of match minutes for the last two seasons

Notwithstanding the fact Borthwick could and may deploy a totally different squad for the home game against Fiji back in England, the head coach revealed conversations about Itoje taking a break this summer are “ongoing”.

“We look at each player on an individual basis,” Borthwick said. “That conversation with Maro and Phil Morrow the head of performance, the three of us have met and have had that conversation.

“Maro came into camp yesterday (Monday), as we agreed prior to camp, and then left camp last night because we thought it was the right thing for him.

“Now, as I monitor over the next few weeks, each and every one of the players will be looking at what’s right for them and what’s right for the squad as we move forward.

Maro Itoje reacts as team-mate Sam Underhill (not pictured) is shown a yellow card
Image:
Itoje captained England during a chastening 2026 Six Nations, as they suffered four defeats from five for the first time in history

“No , but you’re well aware of the last year or so that Maro has had, so it’s one of the conversations that’s ongoing.

“No decision been made in that regard. But as you would expect me to, it’s to look at each and every one of the players and what’s the right thing to do with them, what’s the right thing to do for the squad, now in the short term and with an eye to what’s coming next year .

“The summer is a great challenge, we’ve got three Test matches, three weeks, three continents.

“I know personally I’m really excited about it, I chat to the players and the coaching staff, they’re super excited about this. As ever, you always learn more about the players and the characters you’re working with who get really excited by a formidable challenge like this.”

British and Irish Lions' Maro Itoje lifts the trophy as he celebrates with his team-mates
Image:
Itoje played 33 times in 2024/25, finishing the season by leading the British and Irish Lions to a 2-1 series victory over Australia last summer

England’s summer Tests come as they seek to bounce back from their worst-ever Six Nations performance that saw them finish fifth after managing a single victory over Wales, suffering a record home defeat to Ireland at Twickenham and a first-ever loss to Italy.

Following ‘a challenging RFU review’ into the tournament, Borthwick has been backed by chief executive Bill Sweeney to lead the team into next year’s World Cup in Australia.

On Monday, Borthwick named his first squad since the RFU’s review, picking South Africa-born Benhard Janse van Rensburg for the first time in anticipation of his qualification for England on residency grounds from July 8.

Janse van Rensburg’s inclusion meant there was no room in the 42-man squad for Bath centres Ollie Lawrence and Max Ojomoh.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Itoje put his support behind Borthwick, insisting belief remains within the squad

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Itoje gives Sky Sports his opinion on the discussions for the British and Irish Lions to play a match against France in 2029 or touring elsewhere

McGuigan handed full-time role in Borthwick’s coaching team

Byron McGuigan will join Borthwick’s England coaching team on a full-time basis in time for the start of the Nations Championship.

Former Scotland back McGuigan first began working with Borthwick during last year’s summer tour to Argentina and the United States, while continuing his role as Sale defence coach. He continued to work with England during the autumn of 2025 and the 2026 Six Nations.

From next month his position with England will be made permanent, with his responsibilities to include collision skills, the aerial contest and assisting the back three.

“Byron is an excellent addition to our coaching group,” Borthwick said.

“Since arriving with us last summer, he has made a strong impact through his detailed understanding of the game and the energy he brings.

“His work in supporting the development of our back-three players has already been valuable and he has also invested a huge amount of time into individual player development across the squad.

“We’re excited about the contribution he will continue to make.”



Source link